Sunday, January 17, 2010
ikan percik (fish with awesome sauce)
Ikan percik is a very delicious delicacy, with a mix taste of sweet, creamy thick sauce made from various ingredients. It is very famous for it taste, originates from Kelantan (if im not mistaken). There are various ways of preparing the ikan percik, and i'm going to provide u guys one of the ways to do it.
1. 6 fishes about the length of 20cm each (ikan kembung)
2. turmeric (size of the thumb)
3. ginger (size of the thumb)
4. garlic ( 8 )
5. red onion ( 2 )
6. big onion ( 1 )
7. lemon grass (2 sticks)
8. coconut milk (800ml)
9. gula apong, like gula melaka ( a kind of sticky brown sugar made from tree sap )
10. asam jawa (tamarind)
12. tumeric powder
14. coarse salt
15. blended chilli
Preparing the fish
1. Clean the fish.
2. Mix 1 table spoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of salt.
3. Marinate the fish with the mixture, and u r ready to prepare the sauce.
Preparing the percik sauce
1. Cut the turmeric, ginger, garlic, onions and lemongrass into small proportion.
2. Blend them with 400ml coconut milk
3. Next, the mixture is heated on stove, small heat.
4. During the heating process, mix other ingredients, 2 tablespoon of gula apong, a bit of tamarind (to create a bit of sour taste), a bit of coarse salt, 3 table spoon of kerisik, and 400ml coconut milk. Add 3 tablespoon of blended chilli.
6. The mixture is stirred at all times to avoid formation of crust.
7. The mixture is boiled until it becomes thick, and slimy like the mixture in the evil witch's pot.
8. It should taste sweet, creamy, and full of flavour.
Preparing the ikan percik
There are 2 ways of preparing it, either by grill, or using non stick frying pan. The methods presented next are the same for both of them.
1. Fry (grill) the fish without oil with small heat until it cooks.
2. When the fish is cooked, apply some of the percik sauce to the fish, and flip it over.
3. Wait for a few minutes, then apply at the other sides.
4. Repeat step 2 n 3 about 3-4 times.
5. Best serve when hot.
1. If the sauce appear to be yellowish, add some more blended chilli
2. If the sauce taste very hot, means u have chosen the wrong chilli, the chilli used is the dried, normal size, not the really hot type of chilli, and it obviously not capsicum ;)
3. If the sauce is is tasteless, add more of the ingredients, more sugar.
4. there is no water added to this sauce, but if u need to do so, add only a bit of water. Most of the sauce comes from the coconut milk.
Enjoy cooking! ;)